Friday, January 4, 2013

5 Tips For Working Out On Vacation


“The older you get, the tougher it is to lose weight, because by then your body and your fat are really good friends.  ~Author Unknown”

Happy New Year! I just got back from the beautiful island of Kauai, Hawaii. This was the first vacation that I had ever taken where I exercised throughout the entire trip. I am telling you the honest truth, it made it even better. As I mentioned in one of my previous posts, fitness contributes to your "feel good" endorphins. You feel great on your vacation and when you return, you don't feel all sluggish because all you did was lie around all day, eat like a pig, and drank like a rat pack member! You come back feeling healthy, energized and ready to get back to your daily life with a positive approach. I used to have the toughest time getting back to the gym after a vacation. I had no energy and was not motivated for weeks. I used to think that all that working out before I left for the trip was such a waste of time since I was a slob through out my trip. Not this time! I did simple, yet effective exercises.

Here are 5 tips for working out on vacation:

1. Daily work out routines: First thing I did when I woke up, was drop to the ground and do pushups. You can add 1-2 more exercises to the that. For example, after you do a set of pushups, do sit ups or ab crunches. Set a goal and stick to it each time. My goal was  100 reps. I would do 50 reps of push ups, then 50 reps of ab crunches, back to another 50 reps of pushups, and finish off with another 50 reps of ab crunches. Sometimes I added 100 reps of dips against the bed. Some days I would do this routine in the morning, then do some more sets of exercising casually on beach. Or I would do all my exercises on the beach. For example, 3 sets of 20 reps for pushups, squats, and lunges, then jog for about 20 minutes, finish off with another 3 reps of 20 reps for burpees.

2. Hiking: Hiking is my favorite activity to do while on vacation as I love that exhilarating feeling from being on an adventure. Anytime you add elevation to your walks, you'll burn more calories. If you carry a backpack, you'll challenge yourself even more, all while enjoying nature.

3. Surfing, swimming, and snorkeling: These activities can be a lot of fun and a total body workout, especially surfing. Snorkeling can be a bit more leisurely, but you can increase the intensity by swimming a bit harder.

4. Jogging or walking on the beach: I love jogging in the soft sand! It is tougher than jogging on a flat surface because it adds more resistance with each step you take. The muscles are forced to work harder and tighten up the core muscles. Same thing for walking on the beach, you can burn twice as many calories than walking on a flat surface. You can do this while getting a tan and admiring the beauty of the beach!

5. Playing sports: Playing any type of sport burns calories and is a great way to meet other people. For example, beach volleyball. 


No comments:

Post a Comment