Friday, January 25, 2013

Training Partner

“Your training partners are key to your success, and friendships based on your runs together are strong.”




Working out with a partner is great. Partners can help motivate each other by pushing each other to work even harder with each exercise performed. Having a partner at your workout can also allow you to lift heavier weights, as you have someone to spot you (Remember, safety first!)  Just hearing an encouraging voice when you train gives you that little extra push. 
 
Unfortunately, my experience with working out with a partner was not so ideal. I partnered up in my strength and conditioning class today with an individual who was so unmotivated, didn't take the training seriously, and wanted to keep talking throughout the entire exercises. I couldn't believe it! I take my training very seriously and did not appreciate the lack of effort on his end. So I kept myself composed and continued to work out even through all his chatter, and completed the class much slower than usual, and was less effective in the number of sets that I completed. 
 
This really taught me a valuable lesson to not just partner up with anyone! Keep an eye out during warm ups and pay attention to the focused people in your class who want to push themselves beyond their limits to have a great and effective work out.  Alternatively, you can also look for these types of people to be your training buddy when you go to the gym. Because in all honesty, if you are going to train with a slacker, you might as well train alone or not at all, that way the only person who could slow you down is you.
 
Work smarter not harder. Be picky when choosing a training partner!

No comments:

Post a Comment