Thursday, January 10, 2013

Listen to your body..


"The body does not want you to do this. As you run, it tells you to stop but the mind must be strong. You always go too far for your body. You must handle the pain with strategy...It is not age; it is not diet. It is the will to succeed."-Jacqueline Gareau, 1980 Boston Marathon champ



Even though I did some body weight exercises and cardio throughout my vacation, it has been tough to lift weights at the gym this past week!  I know it will take time until I get back to the same level I was 3 weeks ago but my body hates me right now! The aches and pains on my body keeps complaining like a child!  As I am a dedicated fitness enthusiast, I am motivated by this challenge to get back to the same fitness level as before.  But I tend to be stubborn!  I have a tendency to ignore my body when it talks to me.  This leaves me sustainable to injury.  Take a break that day or do an exercise that doesn't put a lot of strain on your muscles; like yoga.  Yoga is a great system  of exercises practiced as part of this discipline to promote control of the body and mind.  If your muscles are not too sore but you still feel like you should take a break from weight lifting, do some cardio.  That is what I did today.  I did 5 sets of hill sprints (ran up the hill, walked down), 5 sets of stair climbers (ran up stairs, walked down), ran 5 laps around the park, performed 3 sets of pull ups on the monkey bars, and 3 sets of dips on the park bench.  I made sure that I did a really good stretch before and after the work out to stay loose and injury free.  I felt great from the work out and my body and I are on good terms now! ;p


No comments:

Post a Comment