Tuesday, December 4, 2012

The Zone



David Meggyesy, former NFL player, provides this description, "The zone is the essence of the athletic experience, and those moments of going beyond yourself are the underlying allure of sport." (Cooper, 1998, p 25)



THE ZONE


You know you are in the zone when you exhibit the following characteristics:

1. Your performance is effortless. 
2. You are in sync with your inner self, and
3. You display extreme focus and dominate in whatever you are pursuing. 


Being in the zone for me is not a characteristic but an absolute requirement while I train. Putting on my head phones and “zoning out” on life's problems, redirects my focus to my breath, and the perspiration drops that fall from my forehead to the floor. This sends me into a state of pure and utter euphoria. This state is not something that occurs every time that I train, but I strive to get into that zone every time that I do

…and once I am there…I never want to leave!

No comments:

Post a Comment