Monday, November 12, 2012

“Obsessed” is just a word that the lazy use to describe the dedicated



Those who think they have not time for bodily exercise will sooner or later have to find time for illness. ~Edward Stanley


Pushing my body to the brink of exhaustion is a feeling that I relish. The results I get afterwards are rewarding for all the hard work that I put into my physical training. Not only do I want to look good, but I want to feel good. Physical activity is one way I take control of the stress in my life. Being active not only boosts my feel-good endorphins and distracts me from daily worries, but it is also a meditation in motion!

I have been doing various types of physical training for 9 years now and have gone through many transformations both externally as well as internally.

When I was in my early 20's, I did power lifting and went for a more “bulkier” look. I used to weigh 235 lbs (6'3 tall), I benched 315 lbs, curled 60 lbs dumb bells, squatted about 350 lbs, etc. In 2009, I pinched a nerve in my lower back and was in severe pain for many months. I had to wear a back brace, take medication for the pain, and attend physiotherapy. My physiotherapist noticed something that helped me change the way I physically trained for the rest of my life. He said that I was in great shape but didn't have a strong enough core for my frame. He noticed that I had abs but warned me of the dangers of only training abs. He stated that it could lead to a tight hip flexor, back pain, and lack of results. He explained to me that by training my entire core improves muscle tone, balance, stability, and posture. It reduces risk of injury, increases functional strength, and increases the activation of stabilizing muscles.

Since then, I mainly train with a core emphasis. I do a lot of cardio, plyometrics, power, resistance, and balance training. If I do use weights, they are much lighter than I used to use in my early twenties. I am more lean now and usually range in weight between 190-200 lbs. At age 30, I feel that I am stronger & quicker than I have ever been! I have not suffered another injury since I radically changed my work out routines and I feel great!

As you can tell from reading my post, I am passionate about fitness. I started this blog to share my past experiences and the on-going education that I receive from fitness. I would be more than happy to share fitness and nutrition tips, as well as my own experiences. So stay tuned…

No comments:

Post a Comment